History of Skagit regional health
Skagit Valley Hospital opened in 1958 after voters gave the bond issue to build the 100-bed hospital a 92 percent "yes" vote in 1955. The original building included what is known today as the first two floors of the Southwest wing and was located on what was then Mount Vernon's edge of town. A third floor was added to the Southwest wing in 1964 and a 40-bed Northwest wing, including two operating rooms and a 10-bed recovery room, opened in February 1972. The new diagnostic wing and emergency room opened in May 1987.
The 10,000 square foot Skagit Valley Kidney Center opened just north of the main hospital in July 1998.
From January 1991 through December 2003, Skagit Valley Hospital was part of a joint operating agreement with United General Hospital in Sedro-Woolley operating as Affiliated Health Services.
In January 2004, Skagit Valley Hospital returned to independent operations serving the people of Skagit Valley and surrounding areas.
In December 2006, the Skagit Valley Hospital Regional Cancer Care Center opened it's doors with a 20,000 square foot comprehensive care facility dedicated to state-of-the art cancer diagnostics and treatment.
On July 1, 2007, a 220,000 square foot hospital expansion project opened featuring all private patients rooms, a new Emergency/Trauma unit, a new Family Birth Center and expanded space for surgical and critical care services.
On July 1, 2010 Skagit Valley Hospital and Skagit Valley Medical Center, Skagit County’s largest physician-owned medical clinic, merged to create a comprehensive health care system to ensure greater stability in the region and to better serve patients in Skagit, Island and North Snohomish counties. The merger allows the organizations to combine duplicate services, reduce cost and to improve the system of care for local patients. In addition, the merger will help to continue to recruit and retain high quality providers to serve the people of the region.
Skagit Valley Hospital and Skagit Regional Clinics (formerly Skagit Valley Medical Center) offer patients access to outpatient care in Anacortes, Arlington, Camano Island, Mount Vernon, Oak Harbor, Stanwood and Sedro Woolley under the umbrella of Skagit Regional Health.
In March 2012 Cascade Skagit Health Alliance opened in Smokey Point. This medical clinic, provided in partnership with Skagit Valley Hospital and Cascade Valley Hospital, offers a wide variety of outpatient services including urgent care which is open seven days a week.