Expired Medicine and Sharps Disposal

Skagit Regional Health does not accept expired medication or sharps for disosal from patients.  Please refer to the appropriate county resource for assistance.

Skagit County Government:

Dispose of medicines correctly.  Deposit all unused medicines in a law enforcement collection box.  Sharps and biohazardous wastes cannot be accepted.

Please refer to the Skagit County web site if you have specific questions or call 360-336-9474.

Collection Locations:
Please contact the agency directly to confirm hours.

Skagit County Sheriff's Office
   600 S. 3rd Street, Mount Vernon
Hours:  9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone:  (360) 336-9450

Swinomish Tribal Police
   17353 Reservation Road, LaConner
Hours:  9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone: (360) 466-7237

City of Anacortes Police Department
   1218 24th Street, Anacortes
Hours:  8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone: (360) 293-4684

City of Burlington Police Department
   311 Cedar Street, Suite B, Burlington
Hours:  8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone:  (360) 755-0921

City of Sedro-Woolley Police Department
   325 Metcalf Street, Sedro-Woolley
Hours:  8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone:  (360) 855-2252

Washington State Patrol
   2700  116th Street Northeast, Marysville
   Hours:  8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
   Phone:  (360) 654-1204

Drop locations will be closed on designated holidays and furlough days

Snohomish County:

Call the program information line: 425-388-3199.

Island County:

 For more information call one of the numbers below:

360-321-5111 ext. 7386


Patient Resources

All Locations Accept:                    Do Not Accept:

Prescription drugs                          IV bags
Over-the-counter drugs                   Bloody or infectious waste
Vitamins                                        Needles or syringes
Inhalers                                         Used Epi Pens
Unused Epi Pens                            Personal care products
                                                     Aerosol cans

Instructions for disposing of Sharps and Bandages

  • Used syringes, needles, lancets and other contaminated sharp objects should be placed in an opaque, hard, plastic or metal container with a screw-on or secured lid.  An empty bleach or detergent bottle works well.  Do not use glass.
  • Print a label for the container here.  Tape the label completely to the container with clear, plastic tape.
  • When 3/4 full (don't overfill), screw the lid tightly on teh contaner.  Seal around the lid with duct tape or plastic tape.
  • Dispose of the container in teh regular trash. Do Not Recycle.
  • Gloves, soiled bandages and other items should be placed in securely fastened plastic bags and disposed of with your regular trash.